Saturday, March 24, 2012

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt... A Little Hint of Summer!

Basically, like everyone else these days,  I've become completely addicted to Pinterest. I'm there under *(what else) yellowfish - come check me out, or leave me your name and I'll follow you.

One of the things I pinned recently was this awesome looking strawberry frozen yogurt I found on Pink Parsley



 


















Looks delicious, right?? And when you read the ingredients, it gets better- Greek yogurt, strawberries, lemon and sugar. Couldn't be easier!

Here's what you need:
2c Greek yogurt- I used regular plain, but I think you can also use low fat
1 lb fresh strawberries, diced
2/3c sugar (next time I'll use 1/2c)
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp alcohol (vodka, triplesec)


What to do:
Chop the strawberries up, squeeze the lemon in the bowl, zest the lemon and add to bowl. Let it sit for about half an hour while the juices release.

Put the strawberry mixture in the blender, add alcohol (I used triple sec because it has a citrus flavor- the reason it is in there is really not for flavor so much as to keep everything from becoming a block of ice in the freezer). Blend well, then add yogurt and blend everything together. Pour mixture into the chilled ice-cream maker. Then, let it go until it becomes firm, then put into freezer to chill further.


What is so great about this is, #1 the beautiful color :). But, in addition, with all the fruit, it's almost on the border between an ice-cream and a sorbet. The fruit flavor and the lemon really come through and it's really fresh and light and summery. Plus, with the Greek yogurt, there is protein and while it's not really guilt-free due to the sugar, it's definitely a better choice than ice cream. Plus, it's delicious- give it a try!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails