Sunday, December 2, 2007

Sunday Cinema Revelation III: You Have Got to Go See This...


So, this is completely different than my usual movie discussions, generally revolving around 80's movies that no one but me likes. Yesterday I went to see something that was really awesome... it all started sometime maybe 5 years ago, when I found this book while browsing in a used book store... it is this amazing story of a French man who suffered a terrible stroke and when he recovered, he had "locked in syndrome" and was unable to move- all he could do was to blink one eye- he wrote this entire book by blinking and spelling out words (granted, its not very long, but come on, he was freaking blinking). He basically was only left with his memories and imagination to keep himself occupied.

Anyhow, (as you must have deduced) now they have made a movie of it! It is only in limited release (even in LA it is only in a few theaters), but it is great... you should try to find it. First of all the story is amazing, you keep having to remind yourself that it is all really true. But its also really beautifully filmed, its the kind of thing you just keep thinking about. It was really powerful and you're probably going to cry, but I really recommend it, its one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly... go see it!

5 comments:

MSN said...

I have heard sooooo many good things about this film. As soon as it hits the local art cinema I think that I and hubby shall be there.

All Wired Up TOO said...

I'll keep an eye out for this one...
Have a creative day!
dee

Banana-head Pancake said...

I can't wait to see it! My fiance really likes Julian Schnabel and this looks like a great new film from him. We've been waiting because it's out here in nyc, but I don't want to go when it's so packed!

femputer said...

Sounds really interesting. I'll keep a look out for it.

yellowfish said...

yes! definitely check it out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails