Monday, September 27, 2010

Summer Squash and Gorgonzola Polenta

I'm reaching the home stretch on my first CSA box (although this is posting a little later than real-time)- I really wanted to use the whole thing before it was time to order again 2 weeks later, and I'm almost there (technically you can get them every week, but as much as I love vegetables there is no way I could take that thing down in a week). I had a summer squash, and a craving for Gorgonzola, and the internets provided via EatingWell.

its a little hard to take a delicious looking picture when 100% of the dinner is yellow. but, nonetheless, it was delicious.

The stuff:
-Broth of your choice- 3.5 cups (I use these little squeezable packs from Trader Joes that become 1 cup of broth when you add water).
-1 yellow squash (very large. normal grocery store ones might require 2-3).
-a bit olive oil
-.5tsp sage
.5tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1.5 tbsp flour
3/4c cornmeal
3/4c Gorgonzola (a wholelottacheese, is what that is)
1c water

What to do with it:
Polenta: (caveat, this is the second time in my life I have attempted Polenta. other than accidentally spilling massive quantities of pepper int there, it was pretty good)
Basically, boil 2.5c broth and 1c water. Slowly pour in cornmeal, whisking the whole time. Put on lower heat, and simmer for 15 or so minutes until it becomes creamy (when you taste it, you shouldn't taste little granules). Once it reaches that state, remove from heat and pour in pepper and cheese.

Squash:
Heat up a little olive oil, and throw in the garlic (if you're me, you use the chopped garlic in the jar. so easy!). Then throw in peppers, and just brown them a little (they'll cook more later). Sprinkle the flour on, and stir to cover squash. Then, pour on 1c broth and add the sage. Lower the heat, it'll thicken up as it cooks- just wait until the squash seems nice and soft.

Spoon the squash and sauce over the polenta. This could totally be a main course. I have unfortunately had a vast quantity of squash-as-the-main-course dinners recently, so decided to supplement with a little chicken. I went the easy route, and cooked a Chipotle chicken skewer from Trader Joes (so good! so easy!). Obviously minus the chicken, and using veggie broth, its a great vegetarian entree.

This came together pretty quickly- the entire thing was done in about 25 minutes, so it can easily be done after work, but it is very warm and satisfying. In addition, this kind of gave me a revelation about sauce- this is such a simple way to make a sauce for vegetables, I have no idea why I never thought of it before- it could be adapted to any veggie main dish that you want to serve over rice, or in some scenario where a little sauce would make it extra tasty... I'll be doing that again!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yuuumm! That sounds so delicious

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails