Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Squash Fries!

In yet another squash themed post, I present to you a super fast weeknight meal that is truly easy to just throw together in 20 minutes from deciding to do it to eating at the table.

The squash is another in my list of new-to-me summer squash varieties from the CSA box. This one is patty pan, or scallop squash. I'll give it this, it is the cutest one yet- it looks like a cross between a flower and a space ship, and that is something you don't see every day. Also, it has now been in my fridge for almost 2 weeks (in a ziplock bag in the crisper drawer) and it held up beautifully.
I cut it into lengthwise strips, about the size of thick cut french fries. These were pretty large (I think sometimes this variety can be fairly small) so it worked well.
I used just a little bit of my fancy butter (from the coconut cupcakes) since I have to do something with it (2/3 of a pound are in the freezer, for some special occasion, but I have about a quarter of a stick worth sitting around, so why not), a chopped clove of garlic, salt and pepper, and just a tiny sprinkly of dried rosemary. I just pan fried the squash and let it get a little brown. Summer squash and rosemary is one of my absolute favorite combination and is probably the way I most frequently eat it (although, usually it is steamed).

I had this with the now staple food item of Trader Joes chipotle chicken skewers, just because they are so easy! Over all, it was a quick, easy, and 95% healthy dinner. Yum!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails