Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easy Lemon Blueberry Muffins

Last Saturday, while in the midst of a massive spring cleaning, I started craving muffins. Since I was in my workout clothes, knee deep in the contents of my closet, with a ponytail sprouting directly out of the top of my head, I wasn't about to go to the grocery store, so the recipe had to involve things I actually owned. Luckily I found this recipe over at the ever-reliable For the Love of Cooking.

One note- I didn't have a lemon, and as I said, I wasn't going to the store, so I had to make do. The closest thing I had to lemon juice was Trader Joes margarita mix, which is kind of like limeade. I also only had plain nonfat yogurt rather than what the recipe called for (vanilla), so adjusted some other things accordingly, here is my version:

2 cups flour
.5 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
.25 tsp salt
.25 cup TJs margarita mix
1/8cup tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain fat free yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1.5 cups frozen blueberries
.5 cup nuts
extra sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 400. Mix dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients. Once its mixed, stir in the berries and nuts. Divide into greased muffin cups, and top with a sprinkle of sugar. Bake about 18 minutes.

(once again, until the new camera arrives, this was taken with my cell phone so I apologize!)

These were really good, and totally satisfied my muffin craving without much work and definitely without a trip to the store. I actually liked the limey-ness of the margarita mix (maybe I'm still fixated on the loss of my lime...). You should try it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails