Monday, March 2, 2009

Wheaty Veggie Pizza

This happened a few weeks ago but I'm just now posting it... for some reason the other day I got a bee in my bonnet about making pizza dough. I had a second bee in my bonnet about trying to make something somewhat healthy, so started looking around for whole wheat dough recipes. Obviously, the internet has everything, so I found one in short order. It was also purported to be both easy and fast, which is hard to argue with.

Here is my version
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 little packet active dry yeast
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. warm water
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. honey

Preheat oven to 425. Mix flour, yeast, and salt in a pretty big bowl (I also included a little dry oregano, basil, and garlic powder). Then mix in the liquids (water, oil and honey). Cover the bowl with a damp cloth, and set it somewhere warm for about 10 minutes to rise.

After it has risen, punch it down and press into a greased pan- not having a pizza pan, I used a rimmed cookie sheet which worked just fine. One nice thing about this was that there was no rolling, it was totally possible to spread it out just by pushing with your hands.

Now, top with whatever you want. I used sauce, a layer of spinach, onions, peppers, cheese (I really like the Trader Joes Quattro Formaggio), and some leftover tomato sliced on top. This thing weighed a ton. Bake it at 425 degrees until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted- while the direction said 15-20 min, mine took at least 1.5x that if not twice as long.


This was pretty good. The only issue, to me, was that the crust lacked a certain chewiness that I like in a good pizza crust. It was definitely easy, and definitely fast. Basically, it wasn't the ultimate pizza but it did do the trick.

3 comments:

RanaMuck said...

Do you think it'd be chewier if you added cheese into the crust or maybe made it thicker?
I haven't made pizza crust from scratch before. I think I'll try this sometime!

yellowfish said...

I'm not sure what the deal was- I think that it was a trade off with how quick and easy it was. I don't know a lot about dough, but I know with store bought raw pizza dough its kind of stretchy- I don't know if its because there was more rising, or what. This wasn't stretchy like that which is why you could press it in with your hands. It was definitely pretty quick, and easy, and I liked it, but it was more like bread and less like pizza dough, if that makes sense?

Anonymous said...

I just fell into heaven in a blog....not only attractive jewelry, but food. Glorious recipes and pix with a gourmet vibe.

This girl is so happy...signing up to follow right now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails