Friday, July 11, 2008

Granolalicious

So, I have this hankering to make things myself that are not particularly complicated or expensive and are easily available at the grocery store. I don't know why. The latest attempt is... granola! I wanted some low-fat, not ridiculously sugary, granola with only things I like in it. I'm also on a good-fatty-acids kick, so included mostly nuts that have good stuff in them. Anyhow, after perusing the internets and my grocery store, this is what I came up with...

4 cups regular oatmeal
chopped almonds (I just chopped up the almonds myself so the chunks would be big)
chopped hazelnuts (the grocery store chopped them)
shelled sunflower seeds, a decent sized bag
orange zest
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup OJ
some vanilla
some cinnammon

This is what you do... mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Heat the wet ingredients on the stove, just so the honey gets fully liquidy and mixed with the OJ. Pour the liquid over the dry stuff and stir it in so it is all damp.

Then spread it on a cookie sheet (I actually had to spread it over 2 sheets). When you spread it, kind of squeeze it in to clumps so there are clusters. Bake it at 325 for about 30 min, or until it seems brownish- stir once or twice. Then let it cool all the way and put it in something airtight.

Let me tell you. This stuff is AWESOME. I have been eating it on yogurt multiple times a day. It also makes a ton, so apparently I'm going to be eating it for a while. You should try it!

2 comments:

Lucky Koi Boutique said...

Ooooo I want to try that recipie, but Im going to substitute a few things and add pumpkin seeds in mine, instead of sunflower seeds... Ohh you might also want to try adding dried fruit like cherries, cranberries, raisins, etc... :)

Just food for thought! LOL

John O said...

Note to self: Follow Katie's strategy for making granola, but consult elsewhere for advice on keeping limes alive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails