Tuesday, October 30, 2012

ScarfWatch 2012

One of the aspects of moving cross country that I did not anticipate was that I was moving just in time to throw myself directly in the path of Sandy, the giant superstorm. Now back home we have disasters, but they're usually in the form of earthquakes, and while you don't get a lot of time to prep for them, you also don't have 3 days of anxiety provoking buildup. 

I was really fortunate not to have any damage, and to have power- the things I'm seeing on the news are really terrible and I feel truly lucky. But, now I have 3 days off of work and I'm going a little nuts. While I was out picking up batteries and water bottles and such I grabbed some knitting needles and yarn on a whim (I had some before and I gave them to Goodwill in a fit of despair after trying and failing multiple times to make anything).

So, optimistically, I got started, imagining myself clicking away cozily while drinking tea and listening to the wind:

After watching the entirety of 'Lars and the Real Girl' and 'My Blue Heaven' against the background of me swearing and yelling 'why, why won't you work!' at the needles, this is what I had:
Hmmm.

Then came the brunt of the storm, and most of my time was spent obsessively watching the news and IMing with people in different places, but through all that news watching as well as 'The Golden Compass' and 'Gone', this is where I am now...
My Mom said maybe it could be a Barbie scarf, and then I'd be done.

Needless to say, I was hoping for a little more progress... and yes the whole bottom is crazy looking and it does have a hole in it. Since I just found out that I have tomorrow off as well I can only hope that I can at least get this thing to washcloth size before Sandy subsides (dare to dream!). Unfortunately I have papers to write and work to be done, but stay tuned for ScarfWatch updates! You never know!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails