Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Great Vanilla Project: Phase II

Ok, so I realize many posts have been vanilla-centric lately, but frankly what with work and holidays and traveling and monitoring the activities of little Miss Charlotte and attempting to be better about making new stuff for my shop, I don't have a lot of free time left and what little there is appears to be largely occupied with thinking of ways to use the mass quantities of leftover vanilla beans I have from the extract project.

Having googled this extensively, I arrived at two obvious things. Vanilla sugar for baking, and infused vodka. Because seriously, what could I want other than delicious cookies and delicious drinks. So.... here you go...

1. Vanilla sugar: this is about as easy as it gets. You take a vanilla bean, split it, and put it in a container with sugar. Let it sit there. Apparently, if you replace the sugar the bean can last for a really long time, and the sugar is great for drinks, baking, tea, and so on. As you can see, I buried the beans half way then shook it around to mix it:

In case you noticed, I needed somewhere to put all this stuff. Fortunately, the internet provided. It turns out, there is really seriously somewhere that sells everything. Like, for instance, my new friends at Specialty Bottles.

So now, I have jars of sugar to go with my extract!


Next post.... VODKA!

2 comments:

vantiani said...

Just want to say hello and thank you for came by to my blog today.

Sincerely,

Vantiani.

Pam said...

What a great idea! I need to do that with my next vanilla bean purchase.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails