As we've discussed, it was very very hot for a while, lately it has been perfect and not too hot, but this freezer sangria is still an awesome discovery anyways. I found a version of this over at NoRecipes, and went from there.
What do you need?
- a good sized tupperware (mine was the same one I use to take brownies places, if that helps)
- a bottle of white wine (I used sauvignon blanc)
- some variety of hard alcohol- all I ever have is gin, so I used that, but vodka, triple sec or something else clear would also have worked and maybe been better
- lots of fruit- I used a quarter cantelope, a sweet red grapefruit, and a peach or two. chop it all up.
- a little bit of juice to add sweetness, all I could find was mango so I used that! you could also put in a little sugar if it is too bitter
- soda water and ice for serving
Basically, dump it all into the tupperware, taste it and add the alcohol/juice until you like it and stick it in the freezer, how's THAT for simple.
The good thing about the freezer system is: 1, it's super cold and the fruit acts a little like ice; 2, the ice crystals in the fruit break it down and release more juice; 3, if you don't want to drink it all at once, days later you can hack off a chunk and make a drink!
To serve it, put an ice cube or two in a glass with some soda water, and dump chunks of frozen sangria in- stir it around, it'll be almost like a slushy, a delicious refreshing, alcoholic slushy. Enjoy!